Dear Hyundaitech Stripped wheel stud '99 elantra

Front wheel. Had tires installed a while back. I told them to leave off the wheel covers so I could repaint them. Went to put them on and one of the studs just spins with the lug. I have my reasons for not going back to confront the installer. Is there enough room somewhere in the wheel rotation to push out the stud after I cut off the lug, or is it going to require more disassembly?

Thanks

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

Look at the hub. Usually on the front wheels there is not enough room anywhere in the rotation because the steering knuckle is in the way. You will be able to tell with just a quick look.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you pull the caliper bracket off, there should be enough room. Before cutting, make sure the stud doesn't just need to be hammered back into the hub. The way you describe this, it sounds like the stud pushed out of the hub enough to not engage the splines.

If you do indeed replace the stud, you may need to grind a flat spot on the lip to get it past the knuckle and into the hub.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Good point. If the lug was over torqued, it would likely seat tight against hub before it would strip the stud, yes?

I'll check that first.

Thanks

Reply to
Leonardo