J.C. Whitney experiences

Anyone out there ever ordered from J.C. Whitney? Especially from their web site. I'm curious to hear any stories, positive and negative, since they seem to be the only source for a few things I need and I'd like to be prepared before ordering.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

I've ordered from them a time or two, for the same reasons you quote.

The items have arrived quickly, were correct for the application, and were of good quality. I've never had any adverse experience with them.

Reply to
Larry Smith

One thing I order from them regularly, for your same reason, is stainless steel wheel trim rings in a myriad of styles/depths etc.

They always come through. Once, the set they sent was obviously not stainless, so I used them for a couple of weeks until they started to rust, and sent them back for exchange... the replacement ones were too deep for my wheels, so I sent those back and they got it right the third time. That was about 8 years ago on that set and I still have them.

Try to go in on an order with friends or relatives to economize on the shipping, and get the order total up for %-off promotions. They have also recently revamped their shipping charges for the better. Keep the catalogs on file until the expiration of the sale dates and promotions, your order $ total will vary a surprising amount from one catalog/promotion to another, and compare to the website promotions. The "catalog number you are ordering from" is a very important variable when ordering from JCW.

Keep all of the pick/packing slips filed too, for adjustments if needed.

Also, compare prices & warrantees with other suppliers:

who will also ship to you.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Approximately 9/18/03 00:34, The Hurdy Gurdy Man uttered for posterity:

I've been using them for literally decades. Never had a problem luckily, so can't tell you how they respond if there IS an inevitable oopsie. Some of their stuff is crap, but some of it is surprisingly good and comes in the original name brand box cheaper than you can buy that same brand locally.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

But that's the rub mail order. At the old place in chicago the trick was to go there, order the part at the desk. When it came down from the wearhouse, take a look at it. If it was crap, leave it and walk away. If it was good, take it up to the check out.

Reply to
Brent P

I've been using them for decades and the only thing I will say is that they tend to exaggerate the products a little bit. But then again so does just about everyone else so it's a moot point.

Back in the 1980's we used to laugh our butts off at those "Miracle Engine Restoration Pills" that claimed they replaced the worn metal on bearings etc.

The advertisement had several testim "My engine used to burn oil and make all kinds of terrible noises but since I used these pills I can honestly say my engine no longer burns oil and is quiet as a mouse"

Sure it is...

I'll bet the thing seized 10 minutes after he used the pills :)

We used to get a real kick out of that one.

Otherwise, they are a great company to deal with IMHO.

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

I think they are a decent company to deal with, too.

Now, if you want to buy a magnet to strap to your fuel line, and you are pissed because you don't really get 150 miles per gallon, buy a mirror. You will find the source of your worst problems.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Last week I received an order from JCW. Quick delivery and no problems with the stuff received. Only downside is on their web site they try to trick you into joining some club or something to get a $10 reward. If you join I think you have to pay something every month. That indicates to me that they don't respect their customers and will rip them off if they can. Just my opinion. Jim

Reply to
Jim

A lot of their stuff is piss poor quality. Got a rebuilt carb that was worthless ( Automotive Rebuilders Inc.). Whitney sells a lot of those miracle mileage devices that are worthless. They are fine for the name brand items or the occasional set of tire chains or wheel chocks but don't use them for anything important or you may find yourself disappointed.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Oddly enough, my grandfather said something very similar to that in a newspaper interview with him maybe 40 or 50 (or even 60) years ago. He was supposed to be one of the best sheet metal guys on the east coast back in his day, and commented that he gave up on J.C. Whitney because their repair panels were never as good as the ones he could make by hand. So maybe times haven't changed much... still, if their service is reasonable then I'll give them a whirl. I really just need some interior lights from them, probably not much else. When it comes to aftermarket interior lighting the best stuff comes from Aircraft Spruce (can't beat aircraft parts!), but at three times the price it hardly seems like the way to go.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reply to