Jag XKR Engine Trouble

I have a Jag XKR...I bought it privately 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday while driving home from work, a 40 mile drive that I do twice a day, my engine died.

I filled up with BP ultimate petrol, on my way home.

10 miles later I was on a motorway, travelling at about 95mph. I put my foot on the accelerator and it shuddered. I took my foot off and tried again, the same thing. I took my foot of tha accelerator, then signalled off the road. I shut the car off before I left the road, incase any damage could have been done. Later I tried to start it without any luck.

When roadside assitance arrived, I showed the dirver what looked like oil on one of the pipes in the engine compartment. There was very little oil on the dipstick though. Today Jag have had the car and said that it had been run dry. Because the engine was run with no oil the cranks are damaged and it is likely to require a new engine.

However, here is the rub...Because the engine was run dry, and Jag can not find a leak, it is unlikely to be covered under the Jag extended warranty. I dont accept that.

The car is a 2000 W reg XKR with 68,500 miles. THere are no outstanding engine recalls on this car.

Last Sunday, I washed the car, and out of sheer chance I checked the oil. Primarily I did it because I like to look at the engine and did not know what else I could do under the bonnet. The oil was full on Sunday.

I have also checked my driveway, and my parking space at work. There is no oil in either place.

Somewhere between my work and 30 miles away from work, 5 litres of oil mysteriously vanished. No warning light came on, even at the petrol station that I stopped at along the way.

Any advice? Who should I scream to for a new engine? Has anyone else hada similar experience.

Thank for any help Jeff Cumpsty

Reply to
Jeffrey Cumpsty

I read your post a couple of times because I got mixed messages here.

There are some reasons why a car can go short of oil suddenly...First, on spin-on filters, occasionally the filter will work loose, or the gasket can be a problem. You can suddenly pump the engine dry. Had this happened, your oil pressure gauge or idiot light should have alerted you. If it were not functioning, the engine would be toast in short order.

Same would be the case if you holed the oil pan, or had some other problem there (like a lost drain plug, failed gasket, etc.) If the oil pressure detection system doesn´t let you know, is that failure considered part of the extended warranty program?

Other engine leaks around main seals and valve cover gaskets usually tend to show slower oil loss.

What was the history of this car? Did the previous owner have some problems leading to mechanical work just before you bought it?

Reply to
Larry Smith

There is no apparent sign of why the oil dissapeared.

Jaguar have also confirmed that the ECU did not log any faults.

However, even though it seems cut and dry, they are not commiting to covering it under warranty until the engine gets stripped down on Monday.

In the mean time, I am not entirely satisfied with the way I have been made to feel accused of damaging my car.

I am sending letters to customer service at the dearler and in coventry and to senior members of the company.

Reply to
Jeffrey Cumpsty