Japanese cars are the best

Did a quick followup on that - a 91 Lumina with the DOHC 3.4 would have to be a Z34 in a stock config.

Like I said, I wasn't 100% sure, but was pretty sure the engine would be the standard 3.1L.

FWIW, I own a Beretta with a 3.1 and can't imagine trying to do the timing chain with the engine in the car. The Lumina is wider, but not that much wider - probably not a whole lot of fun.

Oh, and if you need a chuckle, the Beretta has developed a lope at idle... no CEL yet, and been too busy to deal with it - am I warped because I finally like the sound of it at idle - it kinda sounds like a V8 with a cam in it through a set of headphones.

Ray

Ray

Reply to
ray

I was wondering if your collection of antiques was still around. :)

Reply to
ray

91 Chevy Lumina. Formerly the Wife's car, now my beater. 287,000 miles, original drive train. Still powder blue too dammit!
Reply to
anumber1
91 Chevy Lumina.If my old buddy sells me his 91 Chevy Lumina,(I think he will,someday,he won't keep it forever) that gives me hope. cuhulin,the Coualgne,Tainbocouilgne
Reply to
cuhulin

Cuhullin,

I took some pictures of my odometer at 200,000 250,000 and 300,000. I missed the 100,000 mile rollover in 1995, I was crossing a 2 lane bridge on Rt. 17 in western NY and couldn't stop.

2 -3 friends of mine especially their wives can't stand these pictures when they see them, especially if I give a slide presentation. Last slide show I did I stuck a friends 95 Maxima odometer with 285,000 showing - boy did one guys wife howl when she saw that slide, " Who Cares !!!

LOL....

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

I never bother to take any pictures of my vehicles.I am not a camera nut. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

My daily driver is a 1975 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon that I purchased nearly 30 years ago as a late-model used car. The car has a bit over

200,000 miles on the clock. Runs great, and the drivetrain has never needed major repairs. We've had other vehicles come and go over the years (mainly for the wife's use), but this one has been a constant.

We also have a 1985 AMC Eagle wagon. Same basic body as the Hornet, same engine and transmission, but with 4-wheel-drive for winter use. This car was purchased more recently and has only about 135,000 miles. (As far as I know, there have been no major drivetrain repairs on this car either, but I admittedly don't know its entire history.)

Maintenance is the key to keeping a long-term vehicle.

Reply to
Roger Blake

I've driven a lot of 10+ year old American cars and don't see any problems except with a very few of them. People with imports of similar age seem to have as many or more problems and when they do they tend to be VERY expensive to fix.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I think you'll need it, the sun is setting on the Toyota legend. More and more problems with new models, self-destructing engines, Priuses whose traction control system shuts down the drivetrain, Tundra front ends falling apart, rolling out a HUGE gas-pig of a truck (and a factory to build it) just as truck sales evaporate... Toyota of today is making exactly the same mistakes GM made in the 70s.

Reply to
Steve

Japanese cars are not the best.The best cars are American brand name cars manufactured in America. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Nissan wanted to fly their rice flag over the Nissan factory in Mississippi.Go to that factory and tell me what you see. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have no idea what is flying above that plant, but the quality/reliability numbers are saying loud and clear that what comes out of that plant is pulling down the whole brand.

Reply to
E Meyer

Consumer Reports says that the Nissan Titan, Nissan Armada, and Infiniti QX are among the most unreliable vehicles in their annual survey. The Nissan Quest minivan rates about as badly, but I don't know if it's also built in that same Mississippi plant.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. So where's your proof? BTW proof != anecdotes.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Every morning,when I turn this webtv thang on,,, I do a search in that webtv tv window for,Three Stooges. Larry,the Stooge,otherwise known as, cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Nissan vehicles are unreiliable.I have heard some horror reports about the Nissan vehicles made in Mississippi before.I don't want any of those vehicles. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

LOOK,right after World War Two,U.S.A.imported auto factory machinery and auto technology to Japan.I remember as far back when almost everything from Japan was junk. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Titan, Armada and QX56 are the vehicles made in the Mississippi plant. Not sure about the Quest. Quest started out as a joint project with Ford and doesn't seem to have ever recovered from it.

Reply to
E Meyer

Gross generalization not borne out by the facts. Pretty much the ONLY Nissans that have poor reliability are the ones made in Mississippi - the Titan, Pathfinder & QX56. Nissans made in other plants generally have reliability on a par with the rest of the Jap manufacturers.

Reply to
E Meyer

Are you saying that has changed? I've always viewed the label "Made in Japan" on any manufactured item to mean "cheap junk." Though their transistor sets and cameras seem to be more or less OK.

Reply to
Roger Blake