Left ignition on with engine stopped

The car is a 1984 Pontiac Parisienne, V-8 gas. With the engine stopped, I left the ignition key in the ON position overnight. The next day the battery was half dead and needed a re-charging. Underway, the car surges very badly and the check engine light came on for a few minutes. I remember doing the same thing 40 years ago with a ruined coil the result. Anybody know what might be wrong this time?

Reply to
Wm.(Bill) Warning

I don't think it would have learned anything if it wasn't running.. I would suggest trying what Bob said though.. I know that my car's alternator will heat up if I leave the key on, engine off. It's possible you may have damaged the battery or alternator or both.. Is your voltage good engine off and with the engine running?

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I don't know about GM HEI modules, but a Pertronix will be fried by doing this, just like the old school points (if they are closed.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel