Micra engine will not turn over

Can anyone advise?

1997 Micra Shape petrol 998cc Engine will try and turn but fails.

Started no problems yesterday. Stopped at shop for 20mins. Turned key. Engine made half a turn sort of noise then failed. I got a tow home later that night and tried a tow start. Engine fired immediately and drove all the way home. Tried to start again and same symptoms. Suspected flat battery. Battery not charging as charger dial showing

0.5 amp. but no hydrometer to check with. Got spare battery fully charged. Lots of wheezing but engine turns a couple of times and starts. Turns off engine after 5 minutes and tries to restart. Goes back to first symptoms :(

Help!

Reply to
pedestrian

Check the battery earth strap & engine earth strap are attached. If good then leave the cahrger attached & go to Maplins & buy their cheapest multimeter & then measure the battery voltage with the headlamps switched on.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sounds like a battery problem, but I did have the same symptoms once on a primera, it was actually the starter motor, a bearing/bush had failed meaning that the armature (turning bit) scraped on the inside of the casing, robbing the starter of power, sometimes it managed to struggle and spin enough to start, sometimes it just barely turned over. It would always start if you push started it (manual gearbox)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That sounds like the symptoms I have. I thought of a seized starter motor originally but the fact it actually turned the engine put me off thinking a partial seizure. Had that on an extraction fan once. Usually my starter motor faults have been stuck solenoids and brushes. The fact it turned and kicked eliminated those.

HAve to wait till tomorrow now. Blizzard out there :(

Reply to
pedestria