What does the FIPG mean in black liquid silicone gasket material

My oil pan apparently doesn't have a gasket because it uses FIPG black liquid silicone.

What does FIPG mean?

Reply to
Zen

I don't normally do this, but...

Reply to
Alan Baker

FIPG, Formed in Place Gasket. ?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ah, that makes sense because my oil pan is leaking and it takes no gasket.

Would the permatex gray stuff work?

Reply to
Zen

Dunno but ten seconds with a search tool gives:

A. FreeiPodGuide B. Fraternal Information and Programming Group C. Formed in Place Gasket D. Fraternity Insurance Purchasing Group E. Foam-In-Place Gasketing F. Fujitsu Imaging Products Group, Inc. (document imaging)

I'm betting on 'C' or 'E', but probably both.

Reply to
krw

'formed in place gasket'

AMuzi

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Foreign Intelligent Pickle Grinder.

Reply to
Tegger

virtually all the badly leaking cars i've ever worked on have had aftermarket silicone gasketing done. oil and silicone are different and non-complimentary chemistries and silicone's use in gasketing application owes everything to the strength of dow chemical's marketing team and nothing to the "engineers" that spec its use.

go to someone like napa and see if they have a proper gasket for your app. if they do, then you can augment with something like hylomar [non-setting polyester putty] that is a great sealant with the gasket just to really make sure.

Reply to
jim beam

which translates to: "we don't really understand our materials, are too cheap to use a proper gasket, and it's not going to be our problem by the time it leaks".

Reply to
jim beam

Form In Place Gasket.

AKA Silicone type gasket maker.