locating my '67 camaro by VIN - how?

for most of the 80's i owned a '67 SS/RS Camaro Convert. Stupidly sold it in late '88. I want to locate the current owner (assuming it isn't shipped overseas). anyone have a suggestion how i might be able to trace it? the online services, i.e. car fax and the rest are useless b/c they only track VIN's '81 and later.

Reply to
pmoshay

Can you get a "vehicle history" from your DMV?

Reply to
Noozer

You can call the DMV and ask if the VIN is listed as a stolen or currently registered vehicle, tell them your talking to the owner about buying it. That will at least tell you if the vehicle is still current or is in your state. If your lucky and it's still in the state you might be able to get the DMV employee to accidentally give you the name of the owner.

But beyond that, you should be aware of the DPPA:

If your able to get any more data from your state DMV than the name, you probably need to call your newspaper or some such, since your DMV is violating the law at that point.

There are, in fact, several websites out there that claim to sell data from license plate numbers. They are mainly using old outdated data acquired from states before the DPPA became effective in 1997.

In all liklihood, your Camaro was broken up into parts many years ago. Sorry to say that, but most older cars out there of that vintage are worth more parted out then whole.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

amazingly, the DMV told me on the phone that the car has been registered all this time in CA. since '98, it's been registered under a 'non-operational' status. CA DMV allows you to order transscripts and contact info for the current owner. of course they alert the other party simultaneously, but that's fine with me.

Reply to
pmoshay

Hmm I wonder why CA has such a thing as a "non-operational" status for registrations?

In my opinion the only reason to keep registration current on a titled vehicle is if you want to be able to occassionally drive it on the street, and you don't want to be pulled over and given a ticket.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

suspect they came up with that because of all the guys restoring vintage cars. i started driving in '76 and its been an option i believe ever since then.

Reply to
melissadbuchanan

oops. posted under my friends handle.

Reply to
pmoshay

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote in news:newscache$a82x8j$w6x$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ipinc.net:

I suspect it is the same as in storage in most other states. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

In the Canadian city I live in, it is illegal to have an unregistered vehicle in the driveway. Every time I get a 'new' old one to work on one neighbor calls the city and complains so they send out an inspector. I 'always' have them registered so the neighbor can go suck eggs. Last time I put a tent over the Jeep so I could finish despite the fall weather, the old boot called that in. The inspector came, looked at the tent over my 'registered' vehicle and said 'I will Not be bothering you again!' He hasn't...

Mike

Mike Romain

you're right though about "broken up into parts". my '67 SS/RS Convert was stolen *twice* in the mid eighties when i owned it. amazingly, the LAPD found it and returned it to me both times. same issues really prompted me to sell it. one morning i came out and found someone had stolen the SS hood and factory crome header covers right off the car in my parents driveway. it was too much heartache to handle.

Reply to
pmoshay