losing power

Hi All,

I have a 91 Cutlass 2.5 litre 4cyl auto transmission and have a problem with losing power when cruising up a grade. The car will normally shift through 2nd and 3rd gear but then start to lose power when I apply a steady amount of gas to cruise up a low grade hill. I can stomp it down and kick it back to a passing gear, but if I steadily apply more gas, it loses power, almost as if it was choking. Also, when a soon get out of the car it has a eggy smell as if the wrong gas/air mixture was burned. Has anyone had this problem and if so is there anything I can do to fix it. On another note my temp gage will almost reach 260 F before cooling back down as the thermostat opens up. The funny thing is that it will pulse back and fourth between 240 and 160 after that, maybe I need a new thermostat.

Thanks for any help. Smerby

Reply to
Smerby

Seems to have all the symptoms of a partly-clogged up catalytic convertor. Will only get worse--plus under this condition it can get red hot and start a fire. esp. if parked near dry grass/straw. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi