LOUD noise in Reverse?

Car: 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Transmission: 440-T4

I don't know if this is transmission related or not, but when I put it in Reverse, and hit the gas to move backwards, I will sometimes get a LOUD kind of metal to metal grinding noise. Kind of like "datt datt datt datt datt" REALLY fast. I can't say for sure, but it kind of sounds like worn axles that are not making proper contact with the wheels or the transmission.

But it will ONLY do this in Reverse, and ONLY if I try to accelerate backwards at a moderate/normal speed. If I just Reverse without hitting the gas pedal at all, it won't make that noise.

The only problems I get with going forward in Drive are a "clunky" 1-2 Upshift(especially when hot).

Does anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this?

It doesn't FEEL like it's internal to the transmission, it feels more like slipping axles or CV joints or something. But I just don't understand what happens to these components when I put the tranny in Reverse, or whats different versus when I'm in Drive?

THANKS!:)

Reply to
good4u

Check all of your engine and transmission mounts.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

could be the CV joints, but also could be Sprag or (roller clutch) in your transmission

-- Mad Dog

Reply to
Mad Dog