@#$% magnetic reluctance

Any GM with a single magnetic reluctance crank sensor, if that signal is lost going down the highway, the vehicle dies, correct? There is no back-up mode for that signal, correct? thanks

Reply to
jd

Yes.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Just tennis shoe mode.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks for the replys, Robert, Neil. I replaced mine about a year ago, it never died on me going down the highway, but refused to restart a couple of times, always restarted the next morning. After I replaced it, I was fooling with the old sensor, hooked-up dvom, waved wrench in front of magnetic end, and to my surprise, got a reading, surprised me even more when I realized the dvom was still on the dc setting. Somebody told me, some of the low-end dvoms will react to an ac signal even on the dc setting. Then I switched to the ohms setting and it showed open circuit, which I thought was weird. Anyway, thanks

Reply to
jd

As you wave the wrench in one direction, you are creating a current flow in one direction (DC). Then when you wave it back in the other direction you get the opposite polarity but still a DC current. So, yes, you are creating an Alternating Current, but it is of such a low frequency you can see the effect of each cycle on the DVM or VOM. This all assumes the coil was still intact.

If it indeed was open circuit, then you are probably seeing static electricity and capacitive effects. But if the sensor was still functioning most of the time, I wouldn't expect it to be open.

Dick Ballard snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
Dick Ballard