pertronix magnetic sleeve doesn't fit?

Hi,

I've just spent an hour trying to fit a pertronix ignitor into my bus. It's 1847A, for a 009. For some reason the magnetic sleeve wont' fit, it has the part number 1847A3 stamped on it, which is supposed to be the correct part for my dizzy.

It seems to fit but won't sit far enough down for the rotor to engage or for the cap to go on.

Two things occur to me, either I have it all wrong and have the incorrect Pertronix unit, or else there is a variety of 009 that isn't a

009?

Has anyone else have this problem?

TIA Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

The same but different! When I installed my compufire a couple of years ago I had to use a rotor as a drift and tap it on the directions suggest it.

Reply to
Groovysol

The rotor just sits high and doesnt connect? my cap wont fit if i do that!!

I'm tempted to shorten the lower part of my rotor and superglue it to the magnetic sleeve. this should give me a rotor that fits - anybody else had to do such a freaky mod? Would the magnets affect points if i need to go back?

I might just do a uturn on this one, it seems all wrong.

Cheers Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

my petronix was hard to get on also..but like the previous person posted, i recommend you flip it and rotate till you can get it to slide somewhat down..the use your rotor as a tap..and push her down.. mine is also snug..and seemed to snap in place.

good luck Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

Aaaah thanks! it makes sense now. push the sleeve down with the rotor! Or maybe just a bit of gentle persuasion by Mr Hammer...

You say it is snug? Mine seems to go halfway then stop. I definitely have it the right way up, it hardly down down the shaft at all otherwise. I'll try a little force tomorrow, was avoiding it today as I thought it should just slide on with little or no friction.

Thanks Anto.

VdubBeetle1972 wrote:

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

I've widened out the top of it with a scout knife, then put the rotor on and whacked it a bit. Sure enough it moved down, but one bad blow and I shattered the rotor :-(

It's really tight, hope I never need to use points again, it will be really hard to get that thing off...

Lucky I had a replacement rotor.

Cheers Anto.