Manual Transmission

I accidentally put the gear into reverse from neutral. I am sure I engaged fully. I had my foot on the brakes but not on the clutch. The engine stalled and shutoff. The car was stationary. The transmission is manual and it is an '87 Honda Accord.

Could this damage the reverse gear?

All the gears (including reverse) work fine without any strange noises. Please post to this group.

Thanks

Reply to
DFP

Mike Walsh

not do any noticeable damage.

Reply to
Jim

Fuget about it.

If you damaged the tranny, the damage is done. If you didn't, there's no need to worry. If you start to have problems shifting into reverse then you can start to worry. Otherwise, let it lie.

Reply to
-Bob-

Probably no harm bout it would be a good idea to change the tranny oil if you haven't done it in the last couple of years.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Brown

Probably no harm bout it would be a good idea to change the tranny oil if you haven't done it in the last couple of years.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Brown

Agree, change the oil if not recently. If the drain plug is magnetic, at least check it to see if any steel bits have come off.

Chances are, if it works well without noises, it's OK. Once is all it takes sometimes, sometimes not. I think it's a good thing it was reverse, since you (hopefully) won't be driving more than a few mph in that gear. Straight-cut gears, if they are, break easier than hypoid (most passenger car transmissions in forward gears), but you might still be able to drive for years with a little damage if only to gears involved in reverse.

Reply to
David Williams