Install new air filter or shake out the old one.

I live in San Diego County. You might have caught the many fires out here "Firestorm 2003". When the ash has settled, should I just replace the air filters or just shake out the ash and reinstall.

Reply to
Rather B. Beachen

Install a new air filter.

------------------------

Rather B. Beachen wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Install new. Your air filter is doing what it was supposed to do and does it's job well only once. Unless you have one of the new "shake out" air filters.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I don't advocate this but you might want to cover the inlet port with a vacuum bag if it's not too late. Your OEM filter should do its job till it's full recommended change intervals, unless otherwise you hold it up to a light and don't feel comfortable about it.

Reply to
Koji San

Not sure where you find the media that would fit your automotive air cleaner, but some larger lawn mowers have a foam filter that fits over the outside of the paper filter to catch the bigger stuff. It is washable. If you can get some kind of prefilter media (the one guy suggested a vacuum cleaner bag), it may help you get through the firestorm without changing the filter every other day...

bb

Reply to
bobby

I had a friend in Alaska, when they get ash from the volcano they put a piece of nylon over the air intake , acts as a great precleaner. Easy to replace....on most vehicles. Saves the filter for a bit, but then replace it with new.

Thanks My Two Cents

Reply to
G Graham