Maybe ford should have been not so quick to walk away from Mazda...

frod have had comparatively good small diesels in europe for at least 25 years. the fact that they won't bring them here, even for commercial vehicles like the transit connect which is sold as a diesel everywhere else on the planet, and imported from europe with special gasoline engines exclusively for our market, is simply ridiculous.

Reply to
jim beam

This would be a great Engine for ford. Sounds like it could be the small Diesel that could. They could call it the Eco Soot....

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Might work in the new Escape / Fusion and stop them from catching on fire!!!

Reply to
Steve W.

do be glad you don't get a 3 cylinder 1.0 liter "eco boost" mondeo over there

which does the 0-60mph in about 7385628936537256523645656 seconds

I want an ego boost V-8 and a salary that goes with feeding the beast.

Reply to
AD

Thank the federal government, the oil companies, and general motors. Regulation, formulation, and market killer.

Reply to
Brent

you honestly would want more people driving longer thusly crowding already crowded roads further and polluting polluting polluting?

Reply to
AD

I don't even know how you got from what I wrote to your reply.

IMO There are three significant reasons for a lack of light duty Diesels in the USA:

1) emissions regulations. Just different from europe's enough to be a pain in the ass without any significant benefit as an end result. 2) Oil companies resist making the fuel that can best meet the emissions in the USA due to the nature of the oil that is refined in the USA. 3) General motors associated light duty diesel engines with problems because they decided to turn a gasoline engine into a light duty diesel engine instead starting from scratch.

To my knowledge these things have not yet been worked out fully.

Reply to
Brent

people are driving less then they otherwise would

what else could you ask for

Reply to
AD

Regarding 1) Surely it can't be that hard to do

2) Could be 3) I really don't think this is a factor anymore, that was YEARS ago and really, how many people ever even paid that much attention to it other then the few thousand who bought those cars.

The reason I think they have not "taken off" in the US is because it's hard to see much benefit to the typical US buyer. Diesels generally cost more and it takes a lot of miles to earn it back. Not that many people keep there car that long. Plus the cost of diesel is higher then gas eliminating a big part of the advantage. Then there is the performance... by the time you tweak the diesel to get the same performance as you'd get with a gas engine there's not really much difference between teh gas engine version of the car and the diesel version except the diesel costs more to buy, more to maintain, and saves little, if any gas in real world driving.

This is my not-in-depth view, I've not looked at diesels seriously in a while so you might be able to prove me wrong on all counts but that's the impression I have after superficially following lots of road tests over the years.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

but then there are folks in moderately warm climates that do not like to rub elbows at the gas station often and given the typical line at the gas station where I live I could surely relate

not that I'm buying a diesel myself any time soon cause, on the other hand, it always fun though to see those folks spending 15 minutes warming up their tractors not equipped with an autonomous engine pre-warmer to do the 10 minute drive home :^)

and the menus on pre-warmer integrated into MMI!!! aw my gawd

staying with petrol for now making an occasional joke or two about tractor drivers

Reply to
AD