Mazda Protege 2003 - Check engine light came on

Hello,

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege with about 20,000 miles on it. Yesterday, during some heavy rain, the check engine light came on. It is still on this morning. I still have 100 miles to go towards an oil change.

Does anyone know why the light might be on? The gas cap seemed to be on securely. I imagine I will have to take it into the shop...but should my car be safe to drive until the weekend? The light is just on, it is not flashing.

Thanks.

Reply to
Trent L

It means: "Something is or was wrong with something somewhere". Stop by an AutoZone & see if they will read the codes for you. Check the owners manual. This light usually means something happened but it is not now critical. But DO have the codes read.

Reply to
wß

Thanks. I have an appointment scheduled first thing tommorow morning. With the number of miles on the car, it is still under warranty.

Reply to
Trent