Mercedes Diesel that wont stop when the key is removed

I have an old benz diesel. It's an 83 and sometimes it doesnt respond to me removing the key from ignition. Sometimes this is convienient because I can lock the doors if I'm doing a quick errand. Either way, I know how to stop it manually, and what causes it, but I'm curious if running it like that would do any harm. Are there any critical electric systems that would be off?

Reply to
Elliott P

If you know what's causing it, then you should know the answer to your own question. The running on you describe could be from several causes. Maybe you have a worn key or lock. Maybe the engine is dieseling from a source of fuel from a leak. Maybe the fuel system is not shutting down or maybe the air is not getting cut off. None of these are good situations, but the loose key is the safest, unless you find youself locked out of your car with it running.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Just hope some joyriding teen doesn't bust a window and drive off. Since you know what the problem is, why not fix it.

I'm assuming it's a manual transmission and you are using the clutch to kill the engine. If so, I wouldn't do this long term.

Radio, wipers, lights, windows, turn signals come to mind. Not sure if this car predates ABS and airbags. If not add them to the list.

Reply to
John S.

Normally, this would indicate either a vacuum leak. or a broken shutoff diaphragm. Since your door locks work, it is probably your shutoff diaphragm. Until you get this fixed, you can use the shutoff lever located under the hood. IIRC, it is located by the fuel distributor.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox