Mercury Sable problem with timing BTDC and fuel consumption

I just replaced Head Gasckets on Mercury Sable 1995, 3.8 liter engine. It had cooling liquid leak. The fuel consumption became 16 - 17 m/gal and was 20 -22m/gal before replacing. Engine runs good. When I checked timing on idle, BTDC was 26 -27 degrees. If I try to turn distributer to bring BTDC to 10 degrees (according to manuals) engine stops and can not start.

Please any thoughts ang gesses.

Reply to
EUGENE

I hope I can assume that you disabled the timing advance when you checked the timing. If that's the case, then I would make sure that you didn't stick the distributor in 180 degrees out. That'd be my guess without any other information.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

A 1995 Sable has a distributor? I'm surprised at that as Ford started discontinuing them in 1989. If so, the timing is 10 degrees with the spout connector disconnected.

Reply to
saeengineer

Bruce. What means "disabled the timing advance" when checked the timing??? Thank you very much. Eugene

Reply to
EUGENE

Thank you for your information. Yes, my Mercury Sable(1995 and bought in 1994) has DISTRIBUTOR and I can turn it. The problem is : when I try to reduce BTDC to 10 degrees engine stops and can not run. Please any thoughts and gesses. Thanx.

Reply to
EUGENE

How I means are... I can't even talk like that..

I mean, the computer controls the advance of the timing. If you're checking the timing and the computer is advancing the timing, you won't get 10* BTDC (Before Top Dead Center: which is also known as 10* advanced). You're setting the base timing and if the base timing isn't static, you won't get an accurate base.

SO.. if you don't disable the timing advance, you won't get what you want. A base timing of 10*

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

What Bruca and the others are trying to say is to check and set the timing with the SPOUT wire disconnected. Your manual should explain where it is and how to disconnect it. I am not familiar with that setup but is is usually near the distributor. Also, since I have made this mistake I'll ask you to be absolutely sure you have the timing light on the #1 plug. I drove myself crazy for a week because I somehow got the wrong plug wire for the timing light.

I hope this is helpful - Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P

Bruce and other who want to make fun of me. Yes my English is not perfect and it does not mean that I am stupped. Please Keep it in mind when you communicate with people who has English as a SECOND or Third Lfnguage. I accept you appologizes and any way I am gratefull to everybody helping me. Thanks. I am familiar with timing advance, but my book says: detach SPOUT. I think that disable timing advance means to bring BTDC to 0 degrees. Is it make sense. I certainly detached SPOUT when measured BTDC. I hope to get advices how to solve my problem. Thank everybody in advance

Reply to
EUGENE

Disabling timing advance does NOT mean bringing it to 0 degrees BTDC.

As I mentioned 3 days ago, the timing should be set to 10 degrees BTDC with the SPOUT disconnected.

Reply to
saeengineer