1998 Mercury Sable Starting Problem

I've got a 1998 Mercury Sable that runs fine, but at random times will not restart after it has been stopped. The engine cranks normally, but sort of catches and sputters and won't keep running. Then I have to wait about 10 minutes and it starts up just fine. The fuel filter is almost new. Anyone with ideas on what would cause it to act this way or has anyone experieinced this?

Reply to
sam

You understand the effect of accelerator pedal action while cranking?

Pumping it has the PCM send more fuel, flooring it while cranking sends less fuel.

When this occurs floor it and see what happens... if worse, pump it and see what happens.

\How is your gas mileage?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

A dirty or defective IAC can cause this. If it stays running when you give it the gas, this is where I would start. You can either replace it which is what the dealer will do instead of cleaning or, you can try cleanig it if you are mechanically functional. It may also help to clean the MAF sensor in the intake tube. If you want to give it a try, post back and someone here can more or less explain how they are cleaned and maybe even point you to a couple of pictures on the net for reference.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut