Mercury Sable smoking

I have a 1993 Mercury Sable. Lately, I have noticed that after driving to work - about 40 minutes - when I turn into the parking lot of my office, or home, there is white smoke coming out from under the hood and above the right tire. This does not happen when I drive, only when I arrive somewhere and park. They just replaced my water pump and my gasket... Any ideas? The car runs fine. Oh, there is also a smell with the smoke - sort of sweet, but definitely a burning smell. Thanks!

Reply to
bogyo

You have a leak somewhere in your cooling system. Get the vehicle to a repair garage ASAP and have it checked out before you do some real damage to your engine.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

I think you mean a "sweet" smell. A sweat smell would be something completely different, and I'd rather not think about what it would indicate.

Reply to
Matthew Hunt

My mistake there, Matthew. The 'sweat' smell is what occurs when your Sable/Taurus is diagnosed with a cooling core leak and the dealer estimates the cost as $900.

Reply to
Tomcat14

I posted the original message... My husband drove the car yesterday and he said it smoked during the trip as well, not just when he stopped. During the trip it smoked from the back - I assume as the car was moving the smoked got sort of sucked under it... A mechanic checked the cooling system and they have found nothing that dripped or leaked. Could it be from too much oil? This whole thing started right after I had my oil changed... Is that just a coincidence?

You are right... I am sweating... I think I will need to shop for a new car and I am not looking forward to that!

Thanks!

Reply to
bogyo