Short in wiring harness

Hello everyone;

My father-in-law has a '94 (?) Ford Escort, that is a very nice vehicle (when it runs, which used to be always). However, it developed an annoying short, somewhere that drew enough current to kill the battery, but not enough to blow the BTL (?) [I should have taken notes before composiong this] fuse, the fuse that protects the brake light, hazard lights, and charging system (among other things).

The short in the BTL circuit is puzzling, as it has shorted all of the tailight wires together. What confuses us is that none of the bulbs should be on, so this implies that the short is on both sides of the relays that energise the taillights. (Could the tailights be stuck on?)

Fortunately, he has just bought a 2000 Ford Focus, so we can putter away on the escort for days, or weeks, before washing our hands of it and taking to a mechanic who may be just as stumped as we are.

Are there any suggestions of how to run this fault down?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Richard Bell

You should be able to pick up a used factory service manual for a reasonable price on eBay. Or even the CD-ROM version. It should tell you everything you need to know.

Reply to
Childfree Scott