Mitsubishi 6a12 N/A sohc interference motor

Just purchased a 92 galant that dropped the idler pulley, anyone know if these motors are interference design or not?

Reply to
Bret

The core design value of all Mitsubishi products is interference. Interference with your safety, piece of mind, bank balance and self-esteem.

Mitsubishi are the last remaining Japanese producer of rubbish.

Reply to
Marcus

Yup. Make sure the timing belt is fresh, and change it every 60,000 miles. Or, your AAA is paid up...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

What have you done so far?

I noticed *AFTER* I posted you said it threw an idler pulley. What were the conditions, do you know?

Not knowing your level of expertise, an engine like this is set up like this to wring a bit more HP out of it, by making it 'breath' better by the valve timings. The timings are tight, meaning the valve had beeter be closed before the piston comes up. If you know this already, sorry.

Now, Hondas and Mitsubishis have one saving grace. They're a little bit more robust than other Interference engines, and can sometimes take a smal bump at low loads and low RiPpeMs. If whoever was driving it when it blre the pulley was pulling into the grocery store, then you *MIGHT* be able to get away with just checking things and putting a new belt on.

If he was in Full Tilt Boogey, Grit your teeth. At the very least you're probably looking at bent valve stems/ruined valves, pistons with imprints of valves in them, springs/seats and seals. Or, a new head altogether...

You *CAN* just put a new idler on it, reset the belt, and start 'er up. Clatter-clatter-clatter CLUNK! means trouble...

One of the reasons I wound up with an '88 Supra instead of an '89 3000GT, even though I like the GT a LOT better...and I'm a Toyota nut!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Gawd, my speeling is getting atroshiush!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

So it's terminal then?

Reply to
Bret

If you're already to pull the belt, might as well yank the head and have a look. Or, pull the belt off and try to turn the camshafts by hand. That might tell you all you need to know...

Some people like stuffing different engines in cars, I stick with what it came with...fewer headaches...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Just stripping out the timing side to access the timing belt.

Highway cruising with the stereo real loud, when he slowed down he noticed a different sound, car was still running. Was towed and has had an attempt at restarting but didn't sound good.

Hence the question "interference motor"

I'm starting to think it will be stuffed, I have got a 6a12 quad cam but am not sure on wiring it in, I may need the loom and to change the computer. I'm trying to come up with the cheapest solution.

Reply to
Bret

Usenet don't count :)

Reply to