My automatic transmission is stuck in one gear...help please.

Hello, I have an automatic 1991 Mx-5 Mazda Miata. I have my original tranny still.Yesterday I was out driving and suddenly my transmission would not engage its gears normally.It feels like I'm always driving in first gear or less. I can move the gear shift normally, but the car seems to be stuck in only one gear.Also,I cannot drive in reverse. Although I can move the stick in reverse...but the car acts like it's in neutral when I do (no movement). I cannot afford to get a new transmission right now, does anyone have an idea as to what's going on with my tranny? And what can I do to fix it ..if only temporarily. Thanks Silver

Reply to
S.Silver

Either two things, your reverse gear is stuck or damaged. I bought a Honda with your exact symptom and fix it. I`d replaced two gears to get it going again. If you check your tranny dipstick and find metal particles, just give it up. It`s internal problem.

Regarding the part where it won`t up shift, I`d figured that on out. The shift valve was clogged with metallic debris. I sanded that one down. Rick

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

Do not overlook the simple, first. Check the linkage to see if it has become loose and slipped on its adjustment. Wouldn't it be nice to find the linkage adjusted to only reach 1st gear? HTH & good luck. s

Reply to
sdlomi

That's right. On my Honda, removing the linkage cable would make it shift to second, third, fourth faster. If I were him, I would just pop off the linkage at the tranny just to see what happens.

And when my reverse was gone, it won't upshift. The upshift valve is a mile apart but the debris that made the reverse stuck, somehow migrated to the shift valve.

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

On that note of keeping it simple, make sure the fluid level is correct. Also, make sure no electrical connectors, or any other connections (like vacuum lines) are loose.

Reply to
Morgan Bullard