92 Diamante stuck in third gear

My son's car is a 92 Diamante LS 3.0 V6 with Dual overhead cams. It in mint condition EXCEPT the automatic transmission will only move the car in reverse and 3rd gear. Fail Safe Mode?

The dealer says they can't diagnose anything until he buys a new computer for it. (BIG bucks!) ie their computer can't read HIS computer,

He has reset the ECM but now what? Isn't there a simple (and cheaper) solution????

Sawdust Patty

Reply to
PatriciaLyle
2nd gear is the "limp mode" not 3rd. In any event, you need to have the transmission computer scanned to determine the cause. It could be something as simple as a defective speed sensor or as drastic as the need to completely rebuild the transmission.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Mitsubishi auto transmissions are crap. The cheapest solution for the car is a match and a few gallons of petrol.

Bhagat

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Bhagat Gurtu ha scritto:

This is the cheapest solution also for Bhagatrolls. Unfortunately it is illegal in most countries, but is really effective, and amusing too.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

The original post is missing so I'll jump in here.....

I know someone who had a similar problem, albeit not a Mitsubishi. After spending a fortune on computers and diagnostics he eventually discovered the problem.....a faulty micro switch down in the shifter assembly. Start there, it's the cheapest place to start.

Reply to
The Raven

I'd also suggest that if the car is under warranty and the dealer doesn't have to equipment necessary to diagnose the fault then that's *his* problem, and he needs to organise getting the car to someone that does.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

even a Mitsu warranty won't cover 15 years nod

-mark

Reply to
<news>

No, but he *did* mention a "dealer", and it wasn't clear if he recently bought it as a used car.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy