Need some info on a Cadillac Cimarron miles/trip ometer

Hi and thanks for looking, I have a Cadillac Cimarron and the milles say 00000000 and the trip meter doesn't work. Sometimes when I reset the computer the trip works until I turn the car off and leave it a while then it doesn't work again. Can you tell me if there is a "store battery" that I need to change or something? thanks.

Reply to
goodm2

The year would help It is all built in the speedometer cluster. No battery in it. A new or rebuilt or used speed odometer should fix the problem. But under the odometer fraud law the replacement odometer should have the correct mileage programed into it.

Reply to
MT-2500

Not true. You can simply mark "odometer reading not valid" or some such on the title. In my state, State of Oregon, they simply stop recording the odometer reading on the title if you put an odometer reading in excess of 100K miles when you retitle the vehicle (which pissed me off I can tell you)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I believe there is a Federal law that states that with a car over 10 tears old, seller may write into the odometer reading blank, "EXEMPT". S

Reply to
sdlomi2

View this thread:

goodm2

Well that blows the car fax REPORTS TO.:grinyes: :lol: :rofl:

States may vary on the laws on it as long as they stay with in federal guide lines on it. But if a dealers sells a rebuilt speedometer they will have to have the car mileage to program in the rebuilt unit.

Reply to
MT-2500

Well you are not going to find many 1986 Cimarron experts left. You might check with a old cad dealer and see if he has any. Most of them are sealed up units and would be hard to repair even if you knew what to look for in there.:grinyes: But I would just look for a good used one or have yours rebuilt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reply to
MT-2500

View this thread:

goodm2

Are you asking about amp draw on battery? If so how many and how are you testing it?

Reply to
MT-2500