Resetting engine warning light on 1999 Volvo V70

Is there a way of resetting the engine warning light on a 1999 V70 without connecting to a code reader as can be done with resetting the service light. If a code reader has to be used, and I have been trying to find one suitable, does anyone know of a basic one that works with this model or do I have to get one for European vehicles I only want it to read / erase the codes and reset the light.

Thanks,

Graza

Reply to
Graza

It may depend on which engine you have. I used to have a 1999 Diesel V70, and none of the third-party code readers would work with it - only the dedicated tools used by Volvo dealers. When I had the same problem, I had to get a Volvo dealer to reset it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On the S60 you can reset the service interval indicator by doing this.

Ensure all doors are closed. Turn ignition key to position I. Press and hold mlileage reset button [A]. Immediately turn ignition key to position II. Keep reset button [A] depressed until trip meter is reset to 0.

NOTE: If trip meter has already been reset: ? Hold reset button [A] for 10-14 seconds until previous trip meter reading is shown. ? Press and hold reset button [A] until trip meter is reset to 0.

MY 2003 ^> : A yellow warning light will illuminate when it is time to release button [A]. Release reset button [A] within 4 seconds. There will be an audible signal when reset complete. If reset button is not released within 4 seconds, the service interval indicator will not be reset.

John.

Reply to
John

Er. . . the OP was asking how to reset the engine warning lamp (the one that indicates a problem with pollution control) *not* the 'service due' lamp.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Either through the dealer or purchase an OBD code reader this will only read the engine codes nothing else as the manufactures have different pin configurations for each connector

Reply to
Glenn K

Either through the dealer or purchase an OBD code reader this will only read the engine codes nothing else as the manufactures have different pin configurations for each connector

Reply to
Glenn K

Either go to the dealer to have the check engine light repaired or go to auto zone & have them read & clear the codes Glenn K

Reply to
Glenn K

Thanks Glenn, If it is any help the plug is a OBD2 using pins

3,4,5,6,7,13.14,16. Looking for a simple reader using this protocol.

Graza

"Glenn K" wrote: > On 9/24/2008 6:22 PM, Graza wrote: > > Is there a way of resetting the engine warning light on a > 1999 V70 > > without connecting to a code reader as can be done with > resetting the > > service light. > > If a code reader has to be used, and I have been trying to > find one > > suitable, does anyone know of a basic one that works with > this model > > or do I have to get one for European vehicles I only want it > to read / > > erase the codes and reset the light. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Graza > > > Either go to the dealer to have the check engine light > repaired or go to > auto zone & have them read & clear the codes > Glenn K

Reply to
Graza

Any OBD2 reader will work for you HTH Glenn

Reply to
Glenn K

Not if it's a diesel, it won't!!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thats true but we were not speaking about a diesel engine

Reply to
Glenn K

How do you know? As far as I can see, the OP has only posted twice to this thread and on neither occasion did he say what engine his car has.

Reply to
Roger Mills