1996 jeep grand Cherokee CV joints.

With some advice from you guys I've found a bad CV joint on the front passanger side.

any body have any tips for changing these out. otherwise I'll just follow along with the Chilton Manual.

thanks all

Brian

1996 jeep grand cherokee
Reply to
bmaty

If they are anything like the Cherokee, the first time apart could take some convincing to do depending on your local rust factor. I recommend you start soaking the hub rim and bolts with a good penetrating oil and use it several times over a couple days first.

You might need a 12 point socket also.

I also find having a sacrificial bolt that fits the back side of the steering knuckle is handy so the OEM ones don't get bent. On the Cherokee, you have to hit the three large bolts on the back side of the knuckle with a BFH after you have loosened them off a bunch to get the hub moving. A 5 lb Hammer can be needed or a really good thump with a framing hammer or a good tap with a 10 lb. or BFH.

I find cutting the wheels side to side helps to get room to work on and hit those bolts.

I think the book says to tap the side of the hub with a rubber mallet I think to pop it out. Yours might even be that easy, but....

Good luck!

Mike

Mike Romain

About the rust ... if it's real bad, and you can't separate the hub, just replace it as well. At least the problems on the passenger side so no safety issue (in 2wd) ... assuming command-trac.

Reply to
bowgus