New tires: Kumho or Cooper?

I need some good all-seasons for my '02 Chevy Prizm that will be driven through New England winters (city/highway on-road "normal" driving - a commuter car). I see great reviews for Kumho tires on tirerack.com, including points for wet weather and snow/ice, including a small handful of reviewers from snowy climates. Also, I see mixed reviews when I search old news postings. I see more consistent good reviews for Cooper tires, but they do cost a bit more. Of these two choices, I will pay more for better functionality, but I don't want to pay more than necessary.

Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks, JP

Reply to
JP

JP,

I have Kumho Ecsta's on my '99 Taurus, way better than the factory General "Ameri"s. Quieter + better traction on all surfaces, even compared to when the Ameris were new. It's a bit softer than the Generals so it'll wear faster, but I feel safer in the car...and I cant beat 'em for the price.... $199 for 4 delivered to my door in NE OH. (2003) I figure I'll get 3 or 4 winters out of em then change 'em out before they hit the wear bars.

I can't compare to Coopers but I'm extremely happy with these and will probably buy them again.

I also did the tirerack research like you, on several vehicles. It's paid off every time!

--Don in Cleveland OH

Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider student, CFI-SEL wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

What did the guys at the tire place say?

One thing I've found with tires, you may not care about this of course, is that it's a lot easier to make a tire that handles well than one that SOUNDS good.

I think that about 10-15 years ago the tire companies worked out the best general tread design for wet traction, and that everyone producing tires knows what it's supposed to be. That's why most tires all seem to score the same on the reviews. The basic tradeoffs are known - if you want longevity you have to go with a harder rubber compound, that reduces traction, etc.

What I think is NOT currently known, though, is what the best design for NOISE REDUCTION is. It seems to me that whenever I've ridden in a vehicle that is running on cheap tires, that at highway speed the sound level inside the vehicle is so loud that your practically shouting at each other. By contrast if the tires are expensive they run a -lot- quieter and the entire driving experience is a lot more pleasant. I think this is because the R&D required to make a quiet tire is so much higher.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks, Ted. The guys at the tire place looked up the Kumho tires I'd found, saw that they had a good warantee (70k), declared that if tirerack sold them they'd stand behind them, and had their distributor order them for me. I have to wait longer than tirerack's two day delivery to get the tires but I can get the tire place's replacement plan, which I have found worthwhile in the past.

I don't have them yet, so I haven't yet driven on the highway with them. When I do, and if they turn out to be louder than the Goodyears I have now, I'll post here.

JP

Reply to
JP