OBD-2 Code P0106 for my Mazda

Greetings, I recently ran the OBD code reaqder on y 1999 Mazda protege and received the error code P0106. THe description in the book said it is, "manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem" Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks for your help.

RS

Reply to
RS

The MAP sensor is out of range. Maybe the MAP sensor is bad. Maybe the line from the MAP sensor to the throttle body is bad. Maybe your air filter is insanely clogged.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
osbornauto

Here is a link to a picture of the MAP sensor:

It mighthelp you find it to check the connections are tight, etc. Error codescan come and go so I would make sure the error code keeps coming backbefore worrying too much.

Reply to
tom

On my 99 Protege, I have to (carefully) clean the MAP sensor about every

18 months. Last time I also found that the big hose between the air filter and the throttle body was cracked. I imagine that it's a pretty expensive part but a couple pieces of duct tape fixed it and it's been OK for about a year now.

Great little car, the Protege. It's on its second kid now...85K miles and going strong...

Reply to
M.M.

Thanks. Can I ask a stupid question. Where will I find the MAP sensor?

Reply to
RS

From memory because the car isn't here right now...it's in the big hose from from the air cleaner, close to the throttle body. It's right on top with a connector and is held in by a couple of philips head screws. Disconnect the connector and remove the screws (there might be three screws) and then it just lifts out. The part the sticks in the hose, in the airflow, is what needs to be cleaned. Mine is often covered with lint-like gunk that can be carefully brushed off with a very soft little brush and then I gently blow it out with canned air. Treat it gently...it's kind of delicate and if you break the little wire you'll have to replace the sensor. Put it back in place, screw it in, and re-connect the wires. Then clear the code and see if that fixes it. Also check the big hose for cracks or splits in the pleats.

Actually, I think it's a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor rather than a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor...whatever...

Reply to
M.M.