odd electric problem

91 mazda 929 -- 170k miles -- runs like new.

this one has me stumped:

just recently, but not always, when i start the car, the air and windows will not work. car starts just fine (new battery last fall and cranks right up, so i know all ignition connections are fine).

if i turn off the car and restart, windows and air work just fine. btw--the windows/air do not just start working all of a sudden once the car is running--they only operate properly if i turn off the car completely, then restart (and not every time i might add--sometimes i fire up the car and everything is fine--no rhyme or reason here...)

if the fuse is bad, wouldnt the windows/air not work at all?

any ideas? i've never had a car do this before...i'm thinking maybe a loose ground wire?

thanks!

Reply to
whiteout06

The ignition switch would be the most likely suspect in this case. It may not be making proper contact in the part that provides power for those accessories. Perhaps you could try wiggling the ignition switch just a little when this happens. It might then make contact and the accessories will start working. I have seen this happen on many occasions.

Reply to
Kevin

HA! I forgot to mention (minor detail) that my ignition switch/key hole is slightly 'askew' in that when i turn the car off to the accessory position, it gets stuck--i have to wiggle the key and turn at the same time to get it to the total 'off' positon.

the cool part, however, is that i can take the key out of the ignition while the car is running--comes in real handy when i forget something in the house and have to run back in befor leaving.

and no, my 'key' is not a screwdriver ...

so can i fix an ignition switch, or should i just get another? is this something worth buying at a salvage yard?

thanks!

Reply to
WhiteOut

Usually replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch will cure faults like intermittent accessories, but the ability to remove the key in non-standard switch positions means the lock cylinder is also worn. Replacing both parts of the system is what I would recommend as a permanent fix. Usually the lock cylinder is the most expensive and most difficult part to replace for this job.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

JEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!!