Oil light problem...

I've got a '91 Dodge Colt 200. Despite approaching 200,000 miles on the odometer, the engine has never been overhauled or anything. (Just regular minor tune-ups and a scheduled timing-belt replacement.) I cannot buy another care for at least another three years, so I have to keep this one on the road. Naturally then, I'm alert for any signs of impending wear-related breakdown. Lately, my oil light has been going on during idle even though engine oil level being full. My question is, since this "oil light" thing has only started occurring in recent months, can I interpret this as a sign that my oil pump could use some *preventive maintenance soon? (*Preventive... in the sense of preventing a sudden oil pump failure, resulting of course in costly/catastrophic engine damage.)

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback, information or advice, etc,

Sodah

Reply to
Sodah

With as many miles as you have on the engine, that is probalby just a sign that parts of your engine are wearing and the oil pressure is dropping. Check your owners manual, some will say that the light coming on during idle is normal as long as it goes out as soon as the revs go up.

----------------- Alex __O _-\

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

A Colt with 200k miles would have to be considered "quite worn". Tolerances have increased and with the hotter weather, your oil is thinner. It simply leaks past the bearings etc. easier. I would suggest going up a step in the viscosity of the oil you are using. Even 20W-50 wouldn't be unreasonable during the summer months, considering the meleage on the engine.

Reply to
Bill Kapaun

I had the same problem with an '85 "end of life" Corolla with 205k, only when the engine was warm. I tried the cheap fixes (oil pressure sender, oil filter) with no success.

My mechanic said the other possibilities were expensive (oil pump, ma> I've got a '91 Dodge Colt 200. Despite approaching 200,000 miles on the

Reply to
kgold

WHy not just change to 20W-50???

Reply to
AZGuy

Esp. if you use Castrol 20w50!!! I've seen it eliminate that friendly (winking) oil lite on many older v-8's and some newer v-6's.

Reply to
sdlomi