Oil pressure and check engine light problem!!

Oil pressure and check engine light problem!! First let me tell you I have a 1989 F150 2 wheel drive 302. I decided since my motor wasn't running the greatest to swap motors with another truck that my brother had.. I know it ran great and sounded awesome.. Didn't seem to have anything wrong with it. One prob was that his truck is a 1988 with just a few less Kms then my 89. The wiring harness was a little different and very similar.. So I changed the motor. I decided to keep the wiring from my previous motor because the conectors from the 88 didn't fit into mine.. I pluged all where they were suposed to be and voila.. My truck is running now and sounding good...

My one problem I do have however is the oil pressure dial drops quite abit untill I press on the gas pedal. And after about 15 mins of driving my truck, the check engine light comes on.. After I shut the truck off, and leave it for lets say 2 mins to run into the store. Its all good till another 15 mins or so and then the check engine light back comes on again... A friend of mine told me that maybe the computer has to reset itself once a new used motor is put in. Says it has to wait something like 50kms or so to reset itself.. Is this just a wise tale or is this actually true? I know before I changed motors, this motor was running like a top. I don't get it. If I change the oil pump, should the check engine light go out or is the check engine light there for relays and electrical probs? Any ideas on the oil pressure problem and the check engine light? Please email at snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com as I don't come on here to often. Not my computer. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. I am at a loss. Vince snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com

Reply to
abusyman

If you want an answer bad enough, you'll come back.... if you can retrieve e-mail, you can access NGs...

Your friend is almost right.... but since you would have most surely had the battey disconnected during the swap, the KAM would have been cleared quite some time ago.... FWIW, on yours, learned strategy would pretty much be limited to fuel trims.

I'm thinking that you have two concerns... for the oil pressure, the only way to be sure is to check the oil pressure with a master gauge... recreate the conditions where your pressure drops.

For the check engine light.... all I can suggest is (at the very least) having memory codes scanned... A better bet is to have the quick test performed including KOER if necessary....

"abusyman", eh? I went to work Tuesday at 8:00 AM and I finally got home here in the last few minutes.... after 12:00 PM.... A word of advice from one busy man to another.... ask for what you need, not for what you want...

Reply to
Jim Warman

You have two problems:

EEC IV, at least those years.. doesnt know oil pressure. {caveat to forestall argument}

Still have the old engine? Look at the Oil Press sender, now look at the one in the 88 engine. Different size, right? The larger is an actual variable sender, the smaller just a switch. Ground the sender wiring lead to block, if it goes midrange of gauge, it has a resistor in the circuit.

read out the codes... net is full of diagrams showing how to do with a test light and jumper.

Ny guess is it's an EGR related code

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic