OT - a bit- high beltline cars

The current style- the smaller side windows with the taller sidelines of autos- is that purely a cosmetic affectation or is there a significant gain in body stiffness without the big holes in the sides of the body? Just curious-Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

I would suspect, but can't prove, that there would be aerodynamic gains to be had by having a higher cowl. However, Honda for years had a very low cowl and I can't imagine that they didn't use wind tunnels to test their designs.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It is due to the side crash safety mandate by the US Federal Government. I think they are ugly. Rented a Toyota Corolla recently - It was almost

5 feet high with a corresponding high center of gravity - unsafe. There seems to be a competition to make the tallest unstable car.
Reply to
« Paul »

The average adult is an inch or more taller than they were 40 years ago. People simply want more room - in every direction. A 2007 Corolla(rated a compact car) has more cubic feet per occupant than a

1987 Chevy Celebrity(rated in its day a midsize!).

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster