OT - Auto Insurance Won't Cover Laptop?

Hi! I'm new to this group, but I saw a number of insurance related posts, so I hope this is appropriate. If not, send me on my way!

My daughter was using her boyfriend's laptop while riding in the passenger seat of his car .

He caused an accident that resulted in airbag deployment which separated the display from the base of the laptop.

The insurance company totaled his car and has also refused to cover the laptop since the accident was his fault.

Is this standard operating procedure?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There is no SOP. Not everyone has the same insurance!!! Read the policy.

Reply to
Paul

Yes, depending on the type of coverage he has his car might not have been even covered because it was his fault.

I was installing and servicing mobile data systems (HP palmtop computers) in a fleet of vans and these were all covered by insurance because they were in a docking station that was hardwired to the vehicles systems.

Much different than a portable system, that falls under 'contents' insurance vs equipment as far as I was told. I am in Canada though if that makes any difference which it very well might.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Have your daughter sue her soon to be ex-boyfriend for pain and suffering, then she can give him the settlement to cover the laptop.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reasonable idea, except for the "give him the settlement" part. He is now the ex, remember?

She should use the settlement to buy a laptop for her *new* boyfriend and then send a picture of him using it to the ex.

Now that's pain and suffering.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's an even better plan!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Homeowners insurance may cover the laptop but who cares about his problems. He lost car, laptop and your daughter.

This story reminds me of friend that had a CB radio which he took out of his van every night and kept on the kitchen table. Thief broke in and stole the radio among other items in the house but both car and homeowners insurance refused to pay for the radio. What is sop for any insurance company is to refuse payment for anything ;(

Reply to
Frank

re: He lost car, laptop and your daughter

He lost car: Yes, the insurance totaled it. He lost laptop: Not yet, we're working on that, thus the reason for this post. He lost my daughter: Huh? I guess you thought the humorous postings about sueing him were serious.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, I know of a similar situation where girlfriend is suing driver.

Reply to
Frank

What humor??? That concept is all-too-for-real these days.

Let's slap down a widely held misconception:

With the exception of so-called "comprehensive coverage" or special (extra cost) riders, *YOUR* insurance policy covers *THE OTHER GUY*. Not you, not your car, not your property - *THE OTHER GUY* and his stuff.

If you want *YOU/YOUR STUFF* fixed/replaced, then you have to go to *THE OTHER GUY'S* insurance company.

But since the car the broken computer was in was the at-fault vehicle, I suspect that the response you'll get will be something real close (in sentiment, if not wording) to "go pound sand".

Reply to
Don Bruder

list,

info- Hide quoted text -

re: What humor??? That concept is all-too-for-real these days

The post regarding my daughter suing her boyfriend and then sending him pictures of a new boyfriend using a laptop bought with the proceeds was meant to be humorous. That doesn't make the concept any less real, but the concept being real doesn't make the post any less humorous.

re: But since the car the broken computer was in was the at-fault vehicle, I suspect that the response you'll get will be something real close (in sentiment, if not wording) to "go pound sand".

Actually, according to *my* agent (who I asked out of curiosity, and in an attempt to help the boyfriend) the correct response would be "Your homeowner's insurance should cover the contents of the vehicle." At least that is the response she got when she called my carrier - the same carrier that covers both my vehicles and my home.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You still only get what you pay for though...."Should cover".

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

re: You still only get what you pay for though...."Should cover".

True...which is why I used those words.

In my case, my agent said it *would* be covered under my policy, so that is the information I passed along to the boyfriend. He now has to take it up with his mom, who house he lives in, as to whether or not she wants to see if it is covered under *her* policy - and take the possible hit on her rates.

BTW - it was his Mom's car that he rear-ended which resulted in the "totaling" of his car so there's a good chance Mom may not be too willing to add a homeowner's claim to the whole situation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What brand lappy? I might be interested in the parts. Post here again with a contact email (just get a throwaway) Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic