overheating

Hope this is the right forum to ask in. If not, please direct me where to ask.

I have an '89 Sunbird that's getting close to overheating. It happens rather fast and if I don't pay attention, it will overheat. If I rev the engine and increase the RPMs, it'll cool down. I turn the heater on to help bleed off some of the temp and I can smell anti-freeze/coolant. Just changed the thermostat.

Think this is the waterpump, radiator, the fluid, heater core. or.....?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Langenfeld

Hi, Does rad fan come on when it supposes to? Could be pump. Good luck, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you have the proper coolant level? You could have low coolant or an air pocket, and the revving shoves it through the radiator. It's also possible you have some sort of restriction in the system. At 15 years old, you may need a new radiator.

Does the cooloant odor occur inside? If so, suspect your heater core or heater hoses at the firewall.

Reply to
hyundaitech