Pontiac 3.4 Auto Trans Change ??

I just went to check my auto trans fluid on my 2000 3.4 Pont GA and instead of dribbling out as it theoretically should I lost about 2 quarts through the chck hole. I'm assuming I have the right one as it's fairly near the oil drain plug on the right side facing sort of right.

It's a 3/8" head and I thought that it would just dribble a few ounces if it was full but instead I lost about 2 quarts. Is this normal after the car heats up? I don't see how it could have been overfilled by 2 quarts since I haven't added any since the car was new.

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992

Don't know what sort of tranny you have on this, but you don't normally check fluid this way. Do you not have a dipstick on this one?

On automatics, you have to check the fluid as the manufacturer says... if running, in park, etc.

Im not saying you didnt, but I dont recognize this tranny method. Maybe I have just gotten to old and out of the loop.

Reply to
<HLS

You did do this with the vehicle level & engine RUNNING, right??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

No...engine was warm but vehicle was not running I guess that may be the problem. Why couldn't they have put a dipstick in this tranny???

MB

Al Haunts wrote:

Reply to
mab992

Fewer and fewer vehicles now-a-days have trans dipsticks. That includes GM, Ford, Chrysler, and anything German.

Reply to
« Paul »

As Al says, the vehicle has to be running and in Park and level. Sorry, that's just the way it is on this vehicle.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I hate to break it to ya......yep....you are getting too old and out of the loop!

(grin)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
mab992

I suspected that, Ian ;>) I try to keep up with the cars I drive, but no longer try to keep up with the broad cross section.

Reply to
<HLS

As far as I'm concerned, you use anything but the original factory manual at your own risk. Even the factory manual is riddled with mistakes. I know because I use GM's online SI every day. It's hardly worth looking at with new models as there are so many mistakes.

Ian

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Where does all the fluid that come out because my engine was not running go? The torque converter?

What is the reason for not including a dipstick? Price...or they want you to take the vehicle to a dealer?

Thanks

MB shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
mab992

When the engine is not running, the fluid is draining from all sorts of places inside the trans. There is always a good reason why they have specific instructions on how to fill and check fluid levels.

Actually, they believe and maintain that there is no need for any maintenance anymore on these transmissions. It's probably designed to keep less then knowledgable customers from overfilling, or putting the wrong type of fluid in the trans. And yes, there is a push to make the vehicles almost impossible for the average guy to work on. It's only going to get worse.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

on this transmission you will need to have the engine running and the vehicle on level ground and in park then check the fluid level. you should have a little trans fluid coming out,just not pouring out of the trans. you should have a 4t40e or a 4t45e transmission in this vehicle.

Reply to
mastertech435

How would I know which one? Is it part of the Vin? Or is one for the 2.4 and the other for the 3.4?

Thanks

MB mastertech435 wrote:

Reply to
mab992