Preventing Rust from Road Salt

I find this

and this:

work wonders...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

They have bought the rights to resell what is known as Krown Rust (Krown.ca) in Canada. The T-40 product is what the Canadians get done at the professional Krown centers. It gets huge marks for long term proven rust control, and in fact it is so good many of us near the border have been crossing over to get it done once a year. This was complicated when it became mandatory for US citizens to have passports to re-enter from Canada. Carwell tried selling T-40 in a can and in gallon buckets at first, and it was so successful they penned an agreement to open spray centers using Krown product relabeled at Carwell T-40 to hide the fact it is Canadian which evidently will aid sales if we think it is American LOL. That is funny because who is better to know about rust control than Canadians who pretty much live in salt at least 6 months of the year, and 12 months of the year for those on sea coast, mild and moist like Vancouver. My point being we should want to buy it more if it is made in Canada, more so than if it is made here where only a few states really know the affects of road salt on vehicles.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

"econo_cars" wrote in news:if2pc5$5ci$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

I've used Krown (and the very similar product Rust Check) for about

30-years.

The stuff works. Period. It's the very best I've ever found.

There are two major drawbacks to this type of rust treatment:

1) it tends to swell rubbers, so door and hood seals eventually distort and start to fall off (very expensive to replace!!); 2) it cannot protect where it gets washed off, or where it isn't applied in the first place, so it's necessary to augment the official treatment with your own detailed enhancements.

In addition, it cannot prevent rust that's due to stone-chips or other trauma that breaks the paint film.

I use Cosmoline in certain specific areas, like the rear edges of the rear wheel wells where they meet the bumper skin. This works better than Krown in those specific locations.

Krown is fantastic for preventing lock failure, since it acts both as a lubricant and as a corrosion preventive. You'll never have frozen locks again, and your locks' weather flaps will never fail!

Reply to
Tegger

That bit in the article about hand-washing the car would never fly in a real winter.

Reply to
phaeton

About the only way your going to stop rust from salt is to NEVER let the vehicle near salt...

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in news:ighfud$b6k$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

That's about the size of it.

Around salt, your car WILL eventually die, no matter how well you take care of it.

Reply to
Tegger

Hand washing? you serious? have you tried that when it's below freezing outside?

best bet is to find an automatic car wash with a good undercarriage spray and use that... probably doesn't work as well, but cuts down on frostbite damage to hands

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've done hand washing in sub zero weather.

1) sunny day. Park in the sun. 2) use hot water. 3) do one panel at a time. Wash, dry.
Reply to
Brent

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Whoever suggested that has never tried it. Or he has an appropriately heated and drained indoor facility in which to perform such automotive toilet.

Doesn't work. Undercarriage sprays simply blast the same areas of the underbody that are already blasted by road spray. It does not get into ANY of the areas that collect slush and sand, which is where exterior rust begins. Plus the spray doesn't last nearly long enough to remove clumps of salty ice or sand.

Reply to
Tegger

Brent wrote in news:ighol5$upa$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Tell me you mean sub-zero CELSIUS.

And how would that translate to washing the underside?

Reply to
Tegger

It's not that bad if done right. But I did neglect to mention spraying out the underside and the wheel wells. I would do that at the self serve car washes.

I figured as much because I always needed to concetrate the spray and work the grime out of places underneath.

Reply to
Brent

coldest I did it was probably -10ish F. Always on a bright sunny day.

Reply to
Brent

Brent wrote in news:ighr44$9ke$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Ten-below FAHRENHEIT?

I never did have any success keeping water from freezing instantly on the car when the ambient was well-below freezing. Plus it was impossible to keep from getting myself wet (and frozen).

Reply to
Tegger

That's why it MUST be a bright sunny day. The sheet metal heats up from the sun and is above freezing. The water must be hot. the moisture content of the air is so low at that temp that water evaporates right off the car. Some will form ice, but working one panel at a time minimizes the ice creation and the drying towel knocks it right off.

Reply to
Brent

I built an undercarriage unit that is portable. Normally it sits on the floor of the station. To use it you just slide it outside. Then drive over it with the hot water turned on. Works great but takes a bunch of water to do the job on the Fire Engines. Bought the spray nozzles from a farm store. The spray bar is 1" pipe with holes drilled and small nipples welded on for the nozzles.

Reply to
Steve W.

That is why I like the one I built. The 15 nozzles soak everything with HOT water. Works good to get most of the crap off. Not as good as driving the vehicle into the lake like a local dept.* did... BUT it's much easier to dry the rig later...

Reply to
Steve W.

That's pretty ingenious, actually. If i still owned a driveway I'd do the same. Next time i own a house (even though it may not be in such a cold place ;) ) I'll have to build a similar setup.

It's probably a little late for my truck now, but perhaps the next car will be luckier.

-J

Reply to
phaeton

That's the worst advice ever for areas with lots of salt on the road. First most if not all automatic car wash facilities use recycled water. Surprise salty recycled water. Secondly all an undercarriage spray does is force the salty water into crevices that it normally wouldn't get into by just road splash alone.

No wonder you seem to support the idea that you can't prevent rust, LOL.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

"Brent" wrote

That's because you're not lazy like the ones who suggest you can't do it. Like you elude to there are many opportunities to do a hand wash during the Winter months. Also your cars probably go rust free forever with your willingness to take care of your car during the Winter months.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars