Speed trap detection devices

Lately the number of speed traps seems to be at a record level. I blundered into one of these last Saturday night where the limit posting was not obvious nor easy to find even after I went back and looked.

I normally drive very carefully and do not exceed the posted speed limits.

I think it is time to invest in a warning device.

If any of you have them, what do you recommend in the $200 or less range.

The Whistler XTR695SE gets some really good reviews, but some people curse it.

Would appreciate any suggestions (other than "slow down" ;>)

Reply to
hls

Here in Virginia, radar detectors are illegal. It's the first thing you see when you come into the state, a big sign saying "WELCOME TO VIRGINIA RADAR DETECTORS ILLEGAL."

So, the state police have radar detector detectors that allow them to pull over people who have radar detectors.

The next step is going to be radar detector detector detectors, I suspect.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I'm curious. I thought radar detectors were passive devices. If so, how would a radar detector detector work?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Thanks, Scott. I had read that they are illegal in some states and Canada.

In Texas they are not illegal, but in the event you are stopped, the officer may mark your ticket as having had one in operation. It used to be a little easier to get a warning here, but they are not out for warnings right now.

If you saw 60 Minutes last week, I think the reason may have been touched on. Many municipality and state governments in the USA are bankrupt. A news blurb following this segment suggested that 50-100 municiple bonds may go into default within the next 12 months.

For the investor, now may be the time to dump your taxfree muni and head for something safer.

Reply to
hls

That Tune

like any superhet, the local oscillator emits a signal.

most of the hand held devices used for enforcement today are laser-based. since the laser is operating a very narrow beam, the detector can't pick it up unless inadvertently illuminated. operators are trained to keep the beam low, like aiming at a headlight, for this reason. i.o.w, having a "detector" won't help you much any more.

Reply to
jim beam

It's a superhet receiver with a local oscillator that is mixed with the incoming signal to give a beat note which is detected. The radar detector detectors look for the local oscillator leakage.

My suspicion is that the detector manufacturers have put some engineering into reducing leakage but I don't want to find out the hard way.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Every little step forward makes the whole scenario more and more expensive.

Reply to
hls

I don't know much about radar detectors, I don't drive that fast anyway.You might be interested in looking on the web for, Speed Traps. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

WTF does "slow down" mean?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Yeah, against Federal Law.

The FCC has ruled that if a radio signal is sent out, it is anyone's right to receive it. All a radar detector is is a radio receiver.

Technically, VA cannot prohibit you from receiving the signal, and in order to do that, you have to have a receiver.

I'm sure someone must have challenged this.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

They usually aim for the license plate, since it is a flat, reflective surface. So if you put the sensor somewhere near you license plate...

This is the main reason why Mass went back to two plates; so the cops have something to aim at!

Now, remembering the case of VA, a beam of light is NOT a radio signal, so you do not have the right according to the FCC. But it is also NOT 'radar', so is a laser detector illegal????

I have also heard if you glue pieces of a mirror to your license plate, it screws up the laser beam and they can't get an accurate reading. Snopes time...?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That used to be the case under the Communications Act of 1934, but back in 1986 the cellphone lobby railroaded through a horribly-written piece of legislation called the Electronic Communication Privacy Act which makes it illegal to receive all kinds of things. Most of the provisions are effectively unenforceable.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"Slow down" was not my problem. Poorly marked, or poorly interpreted, speed zones were my complaint.

I dont exceed the speed limit IF I can identify it.

Reply to
hls

WTF does "Speed limit" mean? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Ah. Thanks.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Oh. So YOU were the guy in front of me today!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Simply means the maximum legal posted speed for a particular road in a particular zone. Maybe I missed your point.

Reply to
hls

I might be slow, but I am ahead of the people behind me.

Merry Christmas, y'all. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

;)