priming the oil pump

So I had to replace my crank-mounted oil pump. The replacement pump is sealed into the housing, so I can't "pack the gears with vaseline" as the teardown manual says. What's the best way to avoid a dry start and/or test the oiling system before attempting to start? Turn motor over by hand several times? Unplug coil and crank until oil light goes out?

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

I have always found that disabling the ignition and turning over the engine with the starter until pressure is attained is adequate.

Reply to
<HLS

I have a "traditional" small block chevy in my race car in which the oil pump drive is accessable if you remove the distributor. We took an old distributor, removed the cam gear and hooked it up to a drill. When oil started coming out of the pushrods we called it a day.

Depending on your engine design, that may or may not be feasable.

Ray

Reply to
ray

On 2005-08-09 snipped-for-privacy@icequake.net said: >So I had to replace my crank-mounted oil pump. The replacement >pump is sealed into the housing, so I can't "pack the gears with >vaseline" as the teardown manual says. What's the best way to >avoid a dry start and/or test the oiling system before attempting >to start? Turn motor over by hand several times? Unplug coil and >crank until oil light goes out? Yes. Your thinking is good, however:

By hand would give you a good understanding of the term "eternity". And be a fierce work-out.

I used to rebuild VW engines in the '60's, used Lubriplate 105 (light-bodied grease) as assembly lube on all bearings, would disconnect coil primary and crank with plugs not installed (no compression load on new bearings), go through several cycles of crank-till-oil-pressure-light-went-out, pause till it came back on, repeat. But then, I'm paranoid.

Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

What me worry? - A.E.Newman

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Reply to
twillmon

Sounds good. I was afraid cranking with a potentially dry pump would cause a problem, but I've received several suggestions to do just this. Removing the spark plugs sounds like a good idea as well for the reason you stated.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood