Purge valve open circuit ?? - 2000 Passat

Hi

I hooked up a shareware version of vag-com to my car through my newly built DIY interface and it came up with an error (P1426) evap canister purge valve is open circuit. According to the haynes book it's on the left side if the engine bay over by the air filter housing. There's a pipe into it from the charcoal filter at the tank end, and from the valve it goes round the back of the engine on to a vacuum point on the throttle body. It's supposed to open at certain times controlled by the ECU and let the tank breath. I've read several articles about them 'ticking' I measured it's resistance with a multimeter and it's about 26 ohms, does anyone know if this is normal ? Has anyone else had a problem with this one and had to replace it ? I'll find out how much a new one is from the dealer next time I visit. If it's not too much I may just replace it anyway.

thanks

STeve

2000 Passat 1.8SE 20v LPG
Reply to
Steve

Note Steve that the error code is telling you the circuit is open. It may not be the valve itself. You'd be wise to check the wiring harness and any connectors. My brother had this error code on his Dodge Caravan and we traced it to a break at a stress point in the harness. Good Luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike

thanks, i did try a multimeter on the connector on the cable end and it showed a steady 0.6 volts with the engine running, I guess it's not going to try and open it if it thinks it's OC. A resistance check up the cable with the engine off showed a couple of k resistance suggesting that it is connected to something at the other end. The valve solenoid itself reads 26 ohms It didn't try putting 12v across the valve itself to see if it open - I assume it would make some sort of hissing noise as it opens and allows the vacuum through.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm not familiar with a Passat.However, I checked the workshop manual for my

2000 Pontiac Sunfire and the purge solenoid has 2 wires coming to it. One is the fused 12V supply from the battery and the other goes to the ECU which completes the circuit to ground (using varying pulse width) when it determines the canister purging should take place. If the Passat is wired the same way you should measure 12V with the ignition on, between one of the connector terminals and ground. Just a thought, have you checked the fuse? Mike
Reply to
Mike

Mike

hopefully I'll get some time at the weekend. I'll let you know if I make any progress

cheers

STeve

Reply to
Steve