question about timing belt tensioner

In a previous post, I had mentioned that after I had my timing belt replaced, the engine started making horrible noises, like a blender, particularly audible when I drive real slow. When I press the gas, I could hear a distinct whistling. I brought it back to mechanic who said, "oh, i'm sorry, I should've recommended changing the tensioner too. Now you owe me extra for parts."

My question is: shouldn't the tensioner be replaced if a timing belt is replaced? Shouldn't that be part of a package or something?

I feel like I'm being scammed.

Reply to
kilroybass

Not necessarily. It's true he could have done a better job, if he's not going to give you a break to replace the tensioner, go take your business somewhere else. You're not going to get a free tensioner out of this. The normal recommendation is replace the timing belt and water pump (if the pump is driven off the timing belt). It's entirely possible that the tensioner failed after being ruled that it was good. Things like that happen. Is it recommended that the tensioner be replaced when the timing belt is changed? I'm thinking not.

If you quoted him verbatim, he's a horrible salesman. He better be a good mechanic.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Reply to
Shep

For Toyotas, they recommend replacing the tensioners only for every second timing belt change interval. Eg, don't do it at

60k, do it at 120k.

-Ted

Reply to
Ted Johnson

" snipped-for-privacy@usa.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

if the noise started immediatly after belt replacement it probably is a tension issue...since i dont know what kinda veh. your wrenching on i cant say if its auto, manual, or oil pres. driven tensioner. this may teach your mech. to sell new tensioner on like systems......we all learn lessons from failures.................kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Many of them are not very expensive and it only takes a couple of minutes to replace some of them. Others may present more expensive and serious issues.

It might be wise to 'recommend' to the customer that they be replaced. If he chooses not to do so, then he has been warned and doesn't have a bitch coming.

Reply to
<HLS

At the very least, it should be inspected. It sure sounds like they neglected to do that. If they are willing to put in the part and not charge you for labor, that is a pretty good deal.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez