Re: Brakes stuck on parked cars

I had a problem like this once on an old truck that sat for a while. The parking brake was released but for whatever reason it seemed like the pads were still sticking to the drums....maybe from rust? Anyway, I just gave it hell and all of a sudden I heard a pop and it started moving freely again. I'm assuming that the pop was the pads breaking free. With another truck, I had a problem with so much grease and dirt caked on everything that it added up to too much for me to push on my own. Good luck!

I've got two cars that have been sitting for about two months. Neither > starts. I went to push them to my garage and neither would move. I put > both in nuetral, and made sure the parking brake was off. > > One is a 1990 Buick Century, the other is a 1993 Geo Prizm. Both have > power brakes and auto transmissions. > > How do I get the brakes to let go of the rotors and drums? Do I need to > pull the wheels off? Is it because the cars are'nt running and the > power brake systems won't operate? > > Thanks for any input. > > Jp >
Reply to
Jon

atec77

Sounds like a stuck parking brake. Had that happen once pounded on the wheel/tire a bit (by hand or with a rubber mallet) and then used a tire iron on one lugs to turn that wheel by hand and it broke free.

Reply to
Brent P

I would try pulling the rear wheels and checking the drum brakes.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez