Re: Cadillac Northstar V8 running problem- have codes

Here is a follow-up for the problem below:

I put a OBDII code reader on the car and learned that the actual code being set is P0303 which is a misfire on cyl #3.

I swapped the wires between cyl #3 and #5 (both ends of course) and the fault stayed with cyl #3.

I then swapped plug #3 with plug #2 and the fault followed the original cyl #3 plug. I now have code P0302 set.

The plug in #3 had a bit of black carbon on it and the center electrode was somewhat brown. The plugs in #2 were a light gray color with no deposits. I also checked plug #8 which is the other plug on the same coil as #3 and it looked light gray in color also.

All the plugs- #3, 2, & 8 had gaps from .065 to .085 with the spec at .050. All had rounded center electrodes.

QUESTION: Is it fully reasonable or wildly optimistic that plugs will last 100K miles? I am tempted to just replace the one plug and return the wires to their original positions. I hate to spend money for parts that are really good. Plugs are $5.50 and a wire set was $103.

A related question: Does anyone know how to query the computer to give a count os misfires on each cylinder? My OBDII system is just an interface to my laptop and apparently the GM recommended scantool is capable of showing counts of misfires on each cylinder. That would be very useful. I will post this question separately also.

TIA, Rich

Rich wrote:

My 1999 Cad Deville has started running very poorly. I pulled the >codes out of the computer and have the following: > >PCM- >P0300 History- Engine Misfire detected >P0440 History- EVAP system > >I checked the fuel cap for looseness to cause the P0440 code and I >think that was the cause. However, the P0300 misfire detected code >does set the MIL light after two consecutive occurances. > >My factory manual instructs to check which cylinders are misfiring to >try to isolate the problem to a plug or coil. I do not have a scan >tool but can only read out the data on the dashboard. > >No other PCM codes are set. Are there any any of the ignition >components that I can rule out since no other codes are set? I >suspect that you can learn as much from codes that are NOT set as from >the ones that are set. > >Any suggestions on how best to proceed? > >TIA, Rich
Reply to
Rich