Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement - it's in but

In article

> , > > " snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net" > > wrote: > > So I think the answer was "NO". You do not have to take this to the > > dealer! > > Correct, any shop with a Tech 2, Snap-On MT-2500/Solus/Solus > Pro/Modis, OTC Genysis, Ease, Auto Enginuity or other scan tool > with manufacturer enhanced capability can perform the relearn.

It is a magnetic pick up.... Nothing more! No learned process is necessary!!!!

> > You just have to plug it in and make sure it is mounted > > correctly. > > Kind of goes without saying, no?

If it were not mounted correctly they would probably have to pay you for a relearn process :)

> > It is a solid state device and if it is the exact same > > replacement, you should not have any issues. > > Once the relearn is performed. >

Only if you mount it incorrectly :)

> How many miles you have on it?

It is about failure times :) and may have escalated into something else. Thus teaching us to ask questions to get data and come up with a better understanding of one another.

> Irrelevant.
Reply to
geofreesparts

GM service publications state otherwise.

Or; even if it is mounted correctly.

Or if you merely replace it, or the timing cover. RTFM.

Time better spent understanding the service procedure(s).

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What does the rest of the auto industry do when replacing magnetic pickups?

Or if you want to pay for it, you of course can.

What happens if you do not do the relearn?

Won't argue knowledge is power :)

Reply to
geofreesparts

Well, some follow the recommended procedures and some don't follow the recommended procedures. The ones in the latter choice are usually left wondering why the vehicle doesn't perform as it should/why parts failed. Then I make money off of them.

Or; if you don't want to pay for it, you can pay even more money when the collateral damage occurs.

Ignition timing will not necessarily be correct, misfire monitors will not be accurate. Possible bad results; broken piston rings and/or ring lands, worn or deformed rod bearings, clogged/melted/plugged catalytic converters, excessive emissions, emissions test failures, damaged spark plugs, phantom driveability problems/phantom trouble codes. (just to name a few)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

If the service procedures call for a realearn or resynch:

Professionals like us have the proper equipment and do it the way it is supposed to be done.

Buy a scanner if you're going to give any advice, and I suggest you get some update information so you can learn for your self.

1970's books do not apply to modern cars.
Reply to
Refinish King