Re: distributor cap order need advice please

No, the order jumps all over the place and #1 can be anywhere.

If you look on the intake manifold you should see some numbers in the cast. These will be the firing order. Something like 1 3 4 2 maybe.

If you have lost track of where #1 is, there are ways to find it again.

Some engines 'can' be wired the way you describe too. They have internal paths to the correct node inside the distributor cap, but they are unusual.

I always go buy a Haynes Manual for my vehicles. It is in the twenty dollar range and has decent info on fixing just about anything. And silly stuff like firing orders too...

Mike

tanya wrote:

> hello, > is there any sort of convention in numbering points (or points of > origins of spark plug wires) on a distributor cap? > (this is for a 4 cyl, 1.5L engine; fuel injected MPI auto) > for example would all caps for a 4 cyl auto follow a clockWise pattern > as follows: > 12:00 wire 1; 3:00 wire 2; 6:00 wire 3; and 9:00 wire 4 or does it > depend on the make model year etc. > (orientation: looking at the distributor cap from the front of the car > (i.e. facing the front of the car)) > ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY HOPED FOR AND GREATLY APPRECIATED ! > if on the HIGHLY LIKELY chance that the above analogy to a clock is > inCorrect, where could i find info on this? > many thanks in advance! > and have a very good weekEnd! > > -- > to reply: > userName: tjtmd > domain: attglobal.net > and separate the 2 words with the at sign:)
Reply to
Mike Romain

i don't see anything on the inTake manifold but i *do* have the service manual and finally found that the distributor cap is *not* counted clock or counterClockwise but has 1 and 4 opposite from each other and 2 opposite 3. the cyl order is 1-2-3-4 (firing order is 1-3-4-2)

are these better than service manuals? need something for an rx7 which they do not supply anymore...('85) thanks again! sincerely Tanya

-- to reply: userName: tjtmd domain: attglobal.net and separate the 2 words with the at sign:)

Reply to
tanya

thank you for the reply! i was sort of asking *in general* but found the answer in the svc manual (what i did not expect -- that on the distributor cap wire 1 is opposite wire 4; and 2 and

3 are > Try giving the year, make and model and you would be suprised at how

-- to reply: userName: tjtmd domain: attglobal.net and separate the 2 words with the at sign:)

Reply to
tanya

-- toAnswerSend2:userName:tjtmd domain:attglobal.net separate these with the at sign

Reply to
Tanya

and 4 cylinders and the number 2 and 3 cylinders got up and down together. When

1 and 4 are at top dead center 2 and 3 are at bottom dead center.