Re: Distributor rotor keeps fouling

1990 Ford Crown Vic, 5.0L

> >I have been having a recurring problem with the distributor rotor fouling. >I now keep a spare in the garage, and periodically swap them, after scraping >the crud off the rotor. Why would stuff build up like that? How can I >prevent it? A new coil that would have a "hotter" spark? I have checked >the primary and secondary coil resistances and they are both in spec >(according to my Haynes). > >Thanks in advance. > >Craig > >[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL] >

A good coating of the contacts with dielectric grease helps.

Reply to
lugnut

I would always put the grease on both ends of the plug wires. Plug wires at both ends, rotor, and inner distributor cap terminals on yours. I have only seen *some* Fords that require this. I do not do it on other vehicles.

Reply to
saeengineer

Don't you think it's time to replace them? 40K is a lot of mileage. Coupled with the number of times you have scraped crud off, I would imagine that the gap between the rotor and cap is getting rather large. -PapaRick

Craig Williams wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

You can scrape most rotors still, but not most caps. The new caps have white metal contacts and if you scrape those, they will foul up really fast shortly after.

You can scrape the older style ones with brass contacts once and get away with it.

Sounds to me like it is time to try a new set.

Mike

Craig Williams wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

What kind of crud are you finding? I ask because some of the older cars, as they developed positive crankcase pressures due to nonfunctioning PCV valves, plugged hoses, and the like, could vent some fumes up the distributor shaft.

Your car isn't really old, but thought I would mention it in case it might apply.

Reply to
Larry Smith