a/c compressor problem

I bought a used Impreza 75,000 miles. I came out of work on a hot afternoon and started the car. When the air started to kick in, I noticed a belt squeal that put a load on the motor. It was coming from the compressor. It didn't fail but it did stop kicking out the air. I shut it off and drove home. I checked it the next day [going to work] and it worked ok. When it got hot in the afternoon, it began to act up again. Is there anything I can do to salvage this compressor? Does it sound like it need a shot of oil? Or does it just sound like it's the beginning of the end? Before I noticed this I tried to give it a can of freon [134a] but it only took half of it. I figured it was just full. thanks in advance

Reply to
mbjj

It probably was properly charged before you added the half can of

134a. My guess is that it is now overcharged. If it were mine I would have the refrigerant recoverd and the system recharged with the proper amount of 134a.

Steve B.

Reply to
Joe