Re: Ford Fuel Filters / Carb Problem

You need two wrenches to tighten that up. First you have to back off the gas line fitting, then you can tighten the big one, then re-tighten the gas line fitting.

I have seen folks split the gas line on it's seam using one wrench to tighten the big one.

You now need to take it apart to see what's up. You can remove the filter and epoxy the fitting in then use an inline gas filter on most of them....

Mike

I like Ford engineering but they sure dropped the ball on the inline > fuel filter that takes a 15/16" wrench. > > My '77 Ford pickup had a gas leak where the filter meets the carb and > in tightening the screw-in filter, the connection started spewing gas. > I had a 15/16" wrench on the filter and though the long handle gave me > way more leverage than I needed for such a small fitting, I didn't > think I was putting too much torque on the wrench because it was > turning very easily as though the filter were loose. > > So... Does anyone know of any good "Indian tricks" to resolve such an > issue? I'm not sure yet if I split something on the carb or stripped > the threads but clearly, somethings going on there that's fairly > serious. > > Has anyone had any success with pipe joint compounds or teflon tape on > these threads? Since it's a fuel system, I had assumed the gas might > eat right through the teflon tape. > > Any help that might help me avoid replacing the carb is GREATLY > appreciated. > > John
Reply to
Mike Romain

Are you sure you are not thinking about the earlier GM fuel filters? I believe the Ford that he has simply has the fuel filter screw directly into the base of the carb.

Reply to
Kruse

You are probably right.

Mike