Warn HS9500I wiring

Can anyone provide me with a detailed wiring diagram for a Warn HS9500i winch. I had the winch in at a local shop for repairs...... the shop went out of business and I got everything back in pieces!

Reply to
arwolkowski

Can anyone provide me with a detailed wiring diagram for a Warn HS9500i winch. I had the winch in at a local shop for repairs...... the shop went out of business and I got everything back in pieces!

Reply to
arwolkowski

Mike

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for the diagram. I got it all wired up and all I get is "click" from the solenoids! I removed the wiring and tested the motor for forward/ backward rotation by connecting the battery and a jumper wire to A, F1 & F2 terminals..... all seems fine. Is this a faulty solenoid or something along that line? I've made sure that all my connections are clean and tight. Any ideas?

Reply to
arwolkowski

Reply to
arwolkowski

What was it doing wrong before?

It does sound like the solenoid isn't passing power though.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
arwolkowski

It'll do that if there is no direct ground connection to the battery and is chassis grounded, but you're connecting directly to the battery, I assume.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
arwolkowski

Reply to
arwolkowski

Clicking normally means the solenoid is energizing, just the output has issues.

Bad brushes can draw too much juice and arc out solenoid contacts. If your solenoids open up, they usually can be cleaned or the contact bolts actually flipped around to give a new surface. On some you can flip the main contact washer too.

If you can't open them and have verified the output connections are clean, then you might have to replace one.

I haven't had my warn HS9000i apart but if it's wired like Bill's diagram, then I would first suspect circuit C for dirty connections.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Again I will ask, what was wrong with it before, or did it just go in for a 'tune up'?

My Warn HS9000i has two power wires, a positive cable to the battery and a negative cable to the battery. I do not believe they can work without the negative cable to the battery.....

'If' the brushes were bad and it quit working or got really slow, then the solenoid contacts can easily be arced out so now they won't pass power any more.

Do you have a multimeter? It is really easy to see if the solenoid is passing power out that way.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have an HS9500i and I thought I had a problem with the soleloids when I realized when I had cleaned my battery terminals I had forgotten to re-connected the winch's negative battery cable and it was grounding through the chassis.

There is a ground terminal on the bottom of the motor housing that should be directly connected to the negative battery terminal; Bill's diagram doesn't reflect that.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
Randy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
Randy

Reply to
Randy

Why is it necessary to have 4 solenoids to operate the winch? Is this quantity required in order to complete the wiring or is it something to do with the amount of heat generated by the solenoids? When I went to buy a solenoid today, one supplier said there are "long use" solenoids and "intermittent use" solenoids as used on starting motors. Is there a big difference in the construction? The supplier had to order some long use solenoids in for me. How long should I safely be able to operate the winch before overheating the solenoids?

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Randy

The 4 are needed for the way DC electricity works in two directions. In order not to have a dead short when you turn it on forward, you need a second solenoid to break the reverse circuit. Then when you go reverse, you need another second solenoid to break the forward circuit.

These are long use solenoids that can be smoked out from heavy use even as you have found out. An intermittent one will let the smoke out on the first heavy load.

The HS9000i I have can load up enough to smoke the heat shrink off the battery cable connectors if you stall it while bending a hook open. That would instantly kill an intermittent solenoid. My warn solenoids are still working......

Mike

Mike Romain