Re: Front Disc Brake Servicing

Grease and brakes are a no-no. I believe the tubes you are describing are a brake silencing membrane. The go on the outside of the pads prior to installing them in the calipers. Their purpose is to absorb the vibration that occurs when braking. This vibration causes the squeal that we are all familiar when we brake. Some pads come with little self-adhesive shims which are supposed to prevent squealing, also. Personally, they don't work very well for me, but it won't hurt to apply it on. After you apply it, let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes so that it hardens and isn't so tacky when your handling them. REMEMBER, NEVER APPLY GREASE OR ANYTHING ELSE ONTO THE BRAKE LINING ITSELF! Not sure why you have two different colored membranes with your brake pads. Maybe someone else knows.
--

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^||_
| Miller Lite || |__\____
| |The brake pads for this vehicle came with two tubes of grease. One |black and one pink (sortof). Where exactly do I use each of these |greases? I've never bought a set of pads that included the grease and |always used some anti-seize compound instead.
Most likely one is brake grease (doh) for the caliper slider pins. It's a special hi-temp grease. One most cars there are two pins that allow the caliper to slide in order to center over the rotor as things wear. One of these pins is typically what you remove to allow the caliper to swing away. That's what you usually apply grease to. On a few vehicles there are other areas that demand grese, but the one's I've seen were trucks.
The other tube is probably anti-squeal damping, usually applied to back of pad where it contacts the caliper.
Ok, so am I safe in assuming that the black package is for the pins and the pinkish red pack is for the pads. Wouldnt want to pink them up. I have done brakes before, but have never come into this situation. I've always just used some silver antiseize compound on everything.
On 7 Jul 2003 17:57:14 -0700, goomba snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Goombaman) wrote:
|Ok, so am I safe in assuming that the black package is for the pins |and the pinkish red pack is for the pads.
I'd be more likely to assume the opposite. But that's just me :)
Rex B wrote:

Wouldn't the two be expected to have somewhat different textures? The caliper bolt lube should be rather slippery and the anti-squeal possibly even tacky to the touch and maybe even hardening a bit to a slightly tackier feel?
I take it simply asking the parts guy would be too embarassing to contemplate?
Most brake greases I've seen are lithium-based, and start out white. I've seen some packaged with pads or hardware that looks pink. The OP needs to just find out or not use it.
Well, these are definitely some sort of grease. Both come in a squeezable package to put on the parts. Only things is, I'm not sure where each one should go.
BTW, these were dealer bought pads.
"humble user" <.> wrote in message

One of them might be a silicone grease for lubricating the rubber boots on the caliper. But the kind I use is clear, so I can't tell you what's what.
Why not ask the dealer you bought the pads from? I am sure they won't mind answering a simple question like you have.
Why not ask the dealer you bought the pads from? I am sure they won't mind answering a simple question like you have.
The pink one could be anti-squeal paste you put on the area where the piston pushes on the pad.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's